Thursday, November 26, 2009

Red at Night, Sailor's Delight

I must tell you about a drive that I had last night. It was enormous and chilling. Even though I listen to mostly bluegrass currently, I shall let you in on a little secret that my favorite musician to listen to while driving is Gordon Sumner, known as Sting. I was listening to Soul Cages while driving from Goose Creek to where I work, and it was about 5pm. Driving is like a psychoactive dessert to me now that I rarely do so. The sky near the horizon burned an infernal red that grew darker as the night would take over the day. I just sat breathless at 60mph, stealing more glances at the skyfire than the road. I played tracks I often skip over, though they captivated me powerfully this time around. Here they are (perhaps the audio only while reading will let your imagination do its bidding rather than watching the video):

Island of Souls
When The Angels Fall

Angels is so eerie and hauntingly beautiful, and really gave completion to the dusk. It was dark on the interstate, but illuminated by painfully bright construction lighting. I get to work, park the car, dash out the car, leaving the car on, to get the item and jump back in, and rocket off back for home. It is about 5:30pm now. To avoid rush-hour traffic on the "I" going west, a ride up South Aviation is best I was surprised at how I didn't expect the explosion of honest, pure red upon coming up on the place where the trees fall away and there is nothing but open field to the left. You can see the runways of the airport and air force base, and of course the red. The entire part of the sky that was previously hid by the trees was RED. The biggest, purest, solid RED sky I've ever seen in my entire LIFE. and I switched to track two of the CD. I just felt like something to mirror the fun-ness and wonder of what I was seeing

All This Time

and I began to think of the saying "red at night, sailor's delight; red at day, sailor's dismay," furthering my connection of how much Gordon lived the sea. It was certainly delight, but subtle delight that was as pure as the sky. But nature always presents itself in such an emotionally neutral way, that it gives memories that grow so rich, though so subtle at the time you see. As the wall of red was hidden by the hangars, I began to think that driving is such a joy because you get to ride a boat that travels rivers of viscous black phosphate and paint. You can go ANYWHERE you want! I also thought of and agreed with Ben Gibbard's lyric: even landlocked lovers yearn for the sea like navy men. Magic. Like being in an anti-gravity machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment