Thursday, November 5, 2009

(Almost) every song that flowed through the chambers in my mind during the last three weeks

(Okay, so a lot of these songs embody the adventurous spirit, and a lot of them don't, at least for me. You decide which fill your soul with the desire to roam. Oh, and they're alphabetized by artist name now!)

Alison Krauss - Down in the River to Pray, I Will, I'll Fly Away (w/ Gillian Welch)

Bob Seger - Against The Wind, Old Time Rock and Roll

Church Hymns: Carry On, Our Savior's Love, True To The Faith, other sacrament hymns.

Doobie Brothers - Black Water

Earl Scruggs - 'Til The End of The World Rolls 'Round

Edgar Meyer and Bela Fleck w/ Mike Marshall - Big Country

Gillian Welch - too many to mention all, but Wrecking Ball, Black Star, Acony Bell, Ballroom Girls, Everything is Free, Annabelle, One More Dollar (A long time ago, I left my home, just a boy passing [the age of] twenty), My Morphine, I'm Not Afraid to Die, Hickory Wind

Grandpa Jones - Turn Your Radio On

Herp Pedersen - Cora Is Gone (including the breakdown, oh yeah!)

Jim VanCleve (with Mountain Heart) - Devil's Courthouse

Jimmy Buffett - Everybody's Got A Cousin in Miami, Fruitcakes

Joel Timmons - Orangeburg

John Prine - Picture Show, Daddy's Little Pumpkin, I Want To Be With You Always

Kenneth Cope - More, Father's Child (this song always makes me feel God's love big time, and it reminds me of going to Lake Norman out of Charlotte. It makes me think of heaven), Tell Me

Ralph Stanley - Pretty Girls City Lights, Shady Grove (upon seeing a street sign of that name)

Ralph Stanley II - L.A. County, Georgia (although I never got to go) Lord Help Me Find The Way, Carter, Loretta (the contra-dancing theme for me), They Say I'll Never Go Home (Will I ever see the old homeland, smell honeysuckle in bloom, and walk down by the river, and love me for I love the moon? How can they treat me so wrong, they say I'll never go home)

Rhonda Vincent - Is The Grass Any Bluer?

Ricky Skaggs - Walls of Time, Uncle Pen (another contra-dancing theme)

Something Coporate - North (upon seeing a sign marking a town of that name)

Steely Dan - Reelin' In The Years

Sting (also, a little of The Police) - Don't Stand So Close to Me (both versions), Why Should I Cry For You, Little Wing, Wild Wild Sea, Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot, The Hounds of Winter, Fields of Gold

Union Station - The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn

Van Morrison - Sweet Thing

Yonder Mountain String Band - Half Moon Rising, On The Run

Soldier's Joy

more to come as I think of all of them

No comments:

Post a Comment