Friday, November 6, 2009

Ninety Six

I woke up at eight forty-two AM. Forty-eight miles out of Anderson, I arrived in Greenwood, just nine miles west of my destination with just enough sunlight to make it. My pack weighed forty-two pounds, and my body weight had decreased thirteen. I accepted to be picked up at the County Library, to allow more time to spend with my friend. After looking through many many libraries, a copy of On The Road was to be found here, and, sitting down to read it and slowly enjoying the first five pages, I awaited my friend's arrival. It had been a patient endeavor to come in contact with this book, said to be the sojourner's bible. It is said that patience is rewarded by making the eventual happening sweeter and more savor-able. I was definitely feeling that.

The next day it was eighty-one miles to Orangeburg. I hit North at nightfall. Onto Orangeburg. It was my first time really riding long distance in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment