Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Going To California

So, as I am wont to do while driving all day Tuesdays, I've gotten on a new kick: Dolly Parton. I never saw this coming. Her vocals are perfect, and she writes EXCELLENTLY. I got really pumped off of her album Little Sparrow and one song, Shine, a classic rock cover, gave me the biggest thrill of any of my recorded-music-listening experiences (yep). I could definitely see her live, and I'm very very picky of which musicians I truly enjoy live.

I got a copy of Led Zeppelin's, which I got to listen to Going To California. I decided, upon first hearing this some years ago, that I would listen to this song as I traveled to the pacific ocean, perhaps on an overcast day. I would listen to this song hundreds of times over. I thought it wonderful. I may want to visit San Francisco to this song, as I thought as the lyrics "someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair," sank in (as I've said, I will listen countless times before some lyrics "sink in"). Think of Scott McKenzie's San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair). Long title, self explanatory. Everything about Zeppelin's California is beautiful on a different plane altogether, the aching, the longing, the dizzying airbuzz. Another album I tend to listen to while going out west is a mix tape I made of Gillian Welch. I decided this a few months ago, and again last month. This is not for a long time though. I won't be going out to Utah for a good two years or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment