Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sweet Summer and Charlotte

I think of my floating down the Edisto River, my soul buoyed up on the sweetness of life. The trees were gently swaying, whispering sweet comforting words that can't be heard. The simple goodness of sunshine and flowing water was the majority of what I remembered about last summer. My hair is getting lighter again, and my skin is peeling. All of the music I've listened to lately is happy and has that banjo ever-present. A banjo is a slow cool river in the sunshine. Listening to that banjo reminds me of last summer, all of the good times by the Toe River in Asheville, by Lake Norman in Charlotte, listening to an amazing christian songwriter, the love of God flowing forth from his mouth.

Geographically-Inspired Musical Location of the Day
I've listened to a song by Lou Reid & Carolina over and over, until it is one with me. It is called Amanda Lynn, which is amazing, because that mandolin -- that mandolin I've been dreaming of strumming down that river. "can't him wait for be playin' that mandee-lin down Shady River" -- has now become a banjo because of that song. The story of this song is so marvelous. A classic Romeo and Juliet, but with a warm bluegrass ending. A baby was born, and they named her by the sound of her cry. From her birth, the love of old string music is passed down through her parents and swirls in her heart, filling her with a holy longing to be united -- a child, night after night on the mountainside, listening through foggy mountain air -- with those making happy music in the valley. She just doesn't just wish for, nay, she prays for it. When she gets older, her dreams come true as she's opening for a sold out show in Charlotte. The most wonderful part of all this is that it all happens in the hills of Carolina. It is a direct linking of souls via the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment