Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Are You Ready?

I've seen a man in Charleston, always walking, with a wooden cross over his shoulder, a wheel fixed to the bottom end. Taking up your cross, denying oneself of all ungodliness. The brave notion of performing it literally. Our conversation:

Me: Howdy! A lot of people don't understand what you are doing, but I do
Man: Thanks. You ready to go home?
Me: You know it. How many miles a day do you usually walk that cross?
Man: On weekdays, usually six to seven miles. On the weekends, as much as thirteen.
Me: (noticing his shirt) Faithbook, I've heard of that. I heard lately that getting saved is just like adding Jesus as a Facebook friend. Its only the beginning.
Man: You ready to meet Him?
Me: Oh yeah. I love what you do, keep doing it. The name's John.
Man: Me too.
Me: Gift from God. I'll see you around, driving.
John: If not, I'll see you at home.

This man was a holy man. A legend in the thin fabric of lore in Charleston. That one question: are you ready to meet Him. I'll never forget it. All you can do is put up a front to that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment